Friday, April 1, 2011

Would You Like That A-La-Mode?

A few weeks ago, I posted the following on Facebook:

Anthony: I'm going to buy some air freshener.
Me: No crazy scents.
Anthony: 10-4!

This is what he comes back with.



The air-freshener incident happened about an hour before our daughter Bronte's birthday party, so we all had a good laugh over it and I suggested, half-joking, that his choice and my preference for French Vanilla was a metaphor for our marriage. 

But the half-joke soon took root as a whole notion.  And I didn't like it.

After about two days of struggling under the weighty symbolism embodied in that now-sinister can of Febreze, I finally voiced my concern to Anthony at the time when all wives want to get into deep analytical conversations about their marriage--around 11:30 at night.

In my usual fashion, I launched right to the heart of the matter:

"So...lately, I've had this sneaking suspicion that people think we are opposites."

I fabricated a tone of astonishment, hoping he would immediately dismiss such a notion as preposterous since clearly, we are two birds of a feather.

He, too, was incredulous, though not for the same reasons. 

"Wait. You don't?"

(Insert high-pitched, leaking balloon sound effect here).

"Um, NO! I think we are the opposite of opposites, actually!" I cried.

"Babe." (He calls me Babe. A lot. Sometimes I love it. This was not one of those times).

He then proceeded to list all the things we didn't have in common. Of course, all I heard was "I'm Brazilian Carnaval and you are Vanilla." 

Cue identity crisis.

In my twenties, I was in another relationship in which we were dubbed "the poster children for the 'opposites attract' couple." The difference?  I was Brazilian Carnaval in that one, dammit!

When Anthony and I first met, my attraction to him was based on how much we were alike, how much we had in common. Looking back, I'm not sure that was ever true. We have always referred to ourselves in opposing terms: We are Ricky and Lucy. We are wit and slapstick.  I am testing the waters. He is screaming "Cannonball!" 

And it's okay. It's more than okay. It's great.

It works.

When it comes to what matters to us--our family, our faith, our joys and sorrows, our passions, our sense of humor--we are of a kind.

As it turns out, Brazilian Carnaval includes a hint of vanilla.


From left to right, Ricky & Lucy.

1 comment:

barnabasjr said...

You really need to write a book.